CHADRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS BOARD OF EDUCATION
Regular Meeting Dec 14, 2020 5:30 PM
Central Office Board Room & Via Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/353380486
The Board at the meeting may rearrange the order of the agenda.
1. ROUTINE MATTERS:
a. Welcome and Recognition of Visitors-
b. Meeting Called to Order – A complete copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted on the west wall and in the BOE Documents folder.
c. Pledge of Allegiance
d. Determine if a Quorum is Present
e. Motion to Declare the Meeting Properly Publicized and Open to the Public.
f. Approval of the Agenda for the December 14, 2020 Regular Board Meeting.
g. Approval of the Minutes from the Board Meeting for November 9, 2020.
“Celebrate to Elevate”
h. Awards and/or Honors- Would like to thank and honor Gary Hoffman for serving on the Chadron Board of Education for 8 years.
i. High Fives-
- Congratulations to Ms. Noble’s Personal Finance Class! A CHS team finished 3rd in the state’s personal finance challenge! The competition took place November 16, and concluded December 4 and consisted of more than 185 teams. The Chadron team that placed 3rd was composed of Garrett Reece, Jarek Anderson, Kayley Galbraith and Elizabeth Harrison.
- Thank you to Dana Tewahade, Terri Haynes, Toi Riggs, Rachel Girard and everyone else that helped with our school-wide universal student mental health screener last month.
- Congratulations to our JH wrestlers and JH girls basketball players on a great season!
- Lorna Eliason, Danielle Woods, and the entire CMS ASP staff for doing a tremendous job this semester.
- Thank you to all of our staff, students and parent support for following protocols to minimize covid cases in our schools. As I typed this report (Monday, Dec. 7th), CHS has one positive case and zero quarantines. Our overall numbers for students or staff out of school continue to be very low.
- CHS One Acts finished 3rd in the very competitive B4 district at York.
- Thank you to the anonymous donor that provided $10 gift cards to high school staff in recognition of doing a great job despite the many challenges faced by the coronavirus this year!
- To the Dawes County Courthouse for extending an invitation to decorate the Christmas tree on the main floor of the Courthouse. Our children enjoyed making the ornaments and walking down to the Courthouse on such a beautiful day.
- To the Chadron Primary staff ~ we are not able to have our regular staff Christmas Party so instead we gathered at Prairie Pines to sing Christmas songs.
- To the staff members who contributed to the Shop with a Cop donations; we had the most donations we have collected.
- Ginger Meyer recognized by NCRSA (see board packet letter).
j. Recognition of Public Requesting to Comment on Specific Agenda Items
2. BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS:
a. Treasurer’s Report – Submitted by Sara Taylor, Business Manager
b. Approval of Bills and Claims – General Fund, Depreciation Fund, Lunch Fund, Cooperative Fund, and Special Building Fund
c. Approval of Bills and Claims – Student Activity Fund and Student Fee Fund
3. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
4. NEW BUSINESS:
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action on BOE members attending Conferences/Meetings/Trainings-Goals 1-2
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action in regards to Teacher negotiations for 2021-22 & 2022-23.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action in regards to bus rental by the Close-Up group.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action on the following policies-Goals 1-2:
- 3rd Reading
- 4019.271 Professional Boundaries (new) Recommend for motion.
- 4057.1 Injury Leave (new) Recommend for motion.
- 4053 Staff Payment During Closure (new) look resolution. Recommend for motion.
- 4000 minor wording change.
- 4011 minor wording change.
- 4012 minor wording change.
- 4014 minor punctuation change.
- Policy Changes Recommended by School Attorney
- 3rd Reading
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action in regards to Holli Morsett early graduation request.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action in regards to Superintendent Evaluation. Please fill out the evaluation form prior to the BOE meeting.
6. STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND PROGRAM REPORTS:
a. Administrator Reports Including: Building Principals, Technology Director, Curriculum Director, SRO, and Maintenance Supervisor (Review Enrollment)
b. Board Committee Reports – If any activity has occurred; Finance Committee (2nd Monday @ Noon); American Civics/Curriculum Committee (3rd Monday @ Noon); Policy Committee (3rd Monday @ 7 AM) Building & Grounds Committee ($7.435+ Million in Projects to do) (1st Monday at noon); Personnel Committee (2nd Monday @ 7 AM); Safety Committee; Legislative Committee and Foundation Committee (3rd Wednesday at 7 AM)-On Google docs is a form for recording committee minutes
7. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT AND BOARD-SUPERINTENDENT DISCUSSION:
a. Leadership & Support Systems for Six (6) Tenets of AQuESTT
i. Leadership & high quality services in: processes, regulations, interagency collaboration, data systems, fiscal responsibility, and evaluation
Resignation from Deines, Election Results
Federal Audit Submission, G5 Update, $5000 mini grant, GEERS money
iii. Engage policy partners & stakeholders in development of: policies, regulations, and practices.
Shop with a Cop Program, raised the most ever this year with a jeans incentive.
iv. Teaching, Learning, & Serving
b. College & Career Ready & Civic
i. Curriculum development and alignment to Content Standards
2020 ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA
ii. Integration of Career Readiness Standards into all content areas
iii. Systemic and collaborative curriculum review
iv. Partnerships for expanded learning opportunity
v. Career awareness, exploration, and preparation instruction
i. Process to ensure reliable, valid, and appropriate assessments
2020 ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA
ii. Utilizing balanced assessment system
iii. Sharing assessments in a timely manner
Educlimber, Acadience, BIMAS
iv. Establishing and sharing grading policies and standards
v. Utilizing perceptual data
d. Educator Effectiveness
i. Measuring and addressing teacher engagement.
School and classroom walk-throughs. Google Classroom and Google Drive training
ii. Utilizing a research-based instructional model aligned to the NE Teacher Principal Performance Framework (NTPPF)
iii. Utilizing a formal staff evaluation process aligned to the NE Evaluation Model for Teachers and Principals.
Admin Team Evaluations
iv. Developing a professional Learning plan to support continuous improvement
v. Technology to support teaching and learning, Success, Access, & Support.
e. Positive Partnerships, Relationships, and Success
i. Partnerships w/community groups & support services
Partner with PPHD to closely monitor and investigate CoVId cases. Mental Health Team meets regularly to review students services and discuss individual student referrals
ii. Strategies for family attendance & participation
iii. Expectations for safe, clean, and healthy schools
Review and monitor CoVid disinfection plan.
iv. Measuring and addressing student engagement
v. Strategies to support all students in monitoring and managing Learning
i. Process to support on-time grade completion
ii. Process for addressing the needs of highly mobile students
Transition, Indian Education, Juvenile Justice
iii. Process to identify and support students at risk of dropping out
iv. Processes to ensure the preparedness of incoming students
v. Strategies to support transition from Primary, to Intermediate, to Middle School, to High
vi. School, and to post-high school opportunities
g. Educational Opportunities & Access
i. Before or after school opportunities
Monitor 21st Century grant that subsidizes the after school program.
ii. Supplementing in-person classroom instruction with digital learning opportunities.
iii. Processes relating to a Target Improvement Plan (TIP)
v. Aligning educational opportunities to the needs of all students
Acellus online learning
vi. Evaluating new educational programs
h. Thank Yous-
Kiwanis for Backpack Program
8. BOARD MEMBER ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION (Non-Action)
- Something the BOE did tonight for student learning Goals 1-2
- COVID 19 Websites:
cdcfoundation.org-”Adapting, Evolving, Thriving: Tools to Evolve COVID-19 Schools Strategy”
www.launchne.comThis website is to help school leaders to work though decisions that will be necessary before students can reenter the physical buildings
CDC website http://www.cdc.gov
Panhandle Public Health District (PPHD) http://pphd.org
Governor Rickett’s Website http://governor.nebraska.gov
Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) http://education.ne.gov
9. ADVANCE PLANNING (GOAL 3):
BOE Retreat February 17, 5:30pm
Pre-Bid December 15, 2020, Noon
Upcoming board roles
a. American Civics/Curriculum Committee-December 21, 2020 @ Noon
b. Policy Committee Meeting-December 21, 2020 @ 7 AM
c. Building & Grounds Committee Meeting-January 4, 2021 @ Noon
d. Personnel Meeting-January 11, 2021 at 7 AM
e. Finance Committee Meeting – January 11, 2021 at Noon
f. Regular Board Meeting–January 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM
g. Legislative Committee-
h. Foundation- January 20, 2021 @ 7 AM
10. PUBLIC COMMENT TIME FOR ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA (No Personnel Items)
11. VOTE TO EXCUSE ANY ABSENT BOARD MEMBER(S):
a. Motion for Adjournment