Scotts Bluff County authorities have confirmed and released the identity of the person who died in a Gering house fire two week ago. was the 73-year-old homeowner.
County Attorney Dave Eubanks says 73-year old Marjorie McClure, the homeowner, died of smoke inhalation.
McClure’s body was found by Gering firefighters after they spent about half an hour battling the blaze, which has been ruled as accidental.
Firefighters had tried to enter the home immediately upon arrival, but the intensity of the fire and the threat of burning debris falling from the ceiling and roof forced them into a defensive perimeter battle before it was safe to go inside.