One Dead, 2 Hospitalized In SD From Methanol-Based Hand Sanitizer

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) – South Dakota health officials say one person has died and 2 other are hospitalized after using hand sanitizers made with methanol instead of denatured alcohol.

The federal Food and Drug Administration had issued a warning earlier this summer about several methanol-based hand sanitizers, but the issue received very little attention until recently.

State Epidemiologist Joshua Clayton says South Dakota’s 3 cases had all ingested or drank the hand sanitizer solution. He’s urging people to check their hand sanitizers and to throw away any containing methanol.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related posts