Edgemont Pulls Plug On 2021 Season, Crawford Left A Game Short

Edgemont Athletic Director Barry Scott told Chadrad Sports by text on Monday morning that the school will not move forward with a football season this year due to low participation numbers.

Scott followed up by saying that the Mogul football team will become one of his highest priorities the school year.

Scott told Fox Sports Rapid City late last week that they only had four student’s out for football and had hoped to get that number up over the course of this past weekend but were unsuccessful.

The SDHSAA board voted in June of 2018 to pass a proposal adding 6-man football in the Rushmore state, but by January of 2019 the board decided to push the start of 6-man football back to 2021 from 2019, citing the lack of interest at the time.

As for when 6-man football becomes a reality in South Dakota, remains unknown.

Edgemont football coach Kyle Kaiser had mentioned on Fox Sports Rapid City last week that the school may be exploring the possibility of a co-op with Custer.

With Edgemont closing the door on a 2021 season it will leave Crawford a game short of filling out their 8 game schedule, and takes away what was supposed to be their home and season opener.

Crawford AD Rick Barry told Chadrad Sports on Monday that the school would look at what options are available, including adding a different opponent if that was workable, but says that everything is up in the air right now.

If Crawford cannot come up with a replacement game, they would not play their first game of the season until September 10th at Banner County, and would not have a home game until the following week, September 17th, against Potter-Dix.

Related posts