NU Athletic Communications BOX SCORE
The Nebraska softball team extended their win streak to 11 after a 6-0 win over Michigan State Saturday afternoon.
The Huskers (26-9, 6-0 Big Ten) were led by senior Cam Ybarra who smashed a grand slam in the second inning and added a double in the fifth, finishing 2-for-3 on the day.
In the circle, Olivia Ferrell recorded the four-hit shutout to move to 14-4 on the year. Ferrell pitched the complete game for her fourth shutout of the season.
Ashley Miller (10-10) received the loss while the Spartans dropped to 20-18 (1-7 Big Ten).
The Huskers took a big lead in the top of the second inning with five runs. Singles from Abbie Squier and Ava Bredwell put a runner in scoring position while a single from Caitlynn Neal scored Squier. With two outs, the Spartans intentionally walked Billie Andrews and loaded the bases. Cam Ybarra smashed a grand slam to take a 5-0 lead.
The Spartans tried to respond in the bottom of the third. A walk and an error put a runner in scoring position, but a fielder’s choice and strikeout got NU out of the inning while holding MSU scoreless.
The Big Red added another run in the top of the fifth inning. A double from Cam Ybarra put her in scoring position. Sydney Gray followed it with a triple, scoring Ybarra. Nebraska was able to hold Michigan State scoreless the rest of the game, claiming game one, 6-0.
The Huskers return to action Sunday, April 10 for a doubleheader against the Spartans. Game one will start at 11 a.m. followed by game two at approximately 1:30 p.m. (CT). Both games will be broadcasted live on the Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com with the call from Matt Coatney. The games can also be streamed live on BTN+ (subscription required).
- Cam Ybarra smashed a grand slam in the top of the second inning. This marked her second grand slam of the season and the team’s fifth.
- With five grand slams on the season, the Huskers are now tied for third all-time in Nebraska history. They are tied with the 2015 team which recorded five as well.
- Ybarra’s home run marked only the second homer Ashley Miller has given up all season. She originally held opponents to one home run in 451 at bats.
- Miller had held opponents to only 13 extra-base hits in 122 innings this season. Through seven innings today, NU had two doubles, a triple and a home run against the sophomore.
- The Huskers extended their win streak to 11 games. The last time Nebraska held an 11-game win streak was in 2014.