Join us for the Great American Smokeout: November 17, 2022
Quitting smoking isn’t easy. It takes time. And a plan. You don’t have to stop smoking in one day. Start with day one. Let the Great American Smokeout event, on the third Thursday in November, be your day to start your journey toward a smoke-free life. You’ll be joining thousands of people who smoke across the country in taking an important step toward a healthier life and reducing your cancer risk.
What do we know about smoking?
Smoking weakens your immune system, lowering your body’s ability to fight off disease. We know that adults who smoke have a higher risk for getting sick with pneumonia and having severe illness from infections like the flu. Adults who smoke also have a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
If you smoke, the best choice for your lung health is to quit.
- Smoking leads to disease and disability and harms nearly every organ of the body.
- Cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of preventable disease, disability, and death in the United States.
- The tobacco industry spends billions of dollars each year on marketing cigarettes.
- Smoking costs the United States hundreds of billions of dollars each year.
- In 2019, 14.0% of all adults (34.1 million people) currently smoked cigarettes: 15.3% of men, 12.7% of women.
- Each day, about 1,600 youth try their first cigarette.
- Many adult cigarette smokers want to quit smoking.
I want to QUIT Tobacco! How can I get assistance?
- Call: 1-800-QUIT-NOW
- Quit coaches are ready to help you at 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669). Free Quitline services are available 24/7, in over 200 languages and Spanish-speaking residents can call, 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569). For qualified callers, a free supply of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) can be mailed directly to your home.
- Web-based Coaching
- Don’t want to call? That is ok, a web-based option is also available. After enrolling on the QuitNow website, a coach can be reached via the chat link to provide support when you need it.
What can our organization do to limit or stop smoking?
- Offer cessation options with your employees and families
- Encourage leadership support
- Implement worksite tobacco-free policies
Click here to view the Great American Smokeout video.
Please reach out to receive additional flyers and/or marketing materials to educate your employees and family members. We are here to help!