Chadron Public Schools Board of Education
Regular Board Meeting May 8, 2023 5:30 P
“Infinite Possibilities – Infinite Education”
“Opportunities for All”
Board Goals (Reviewed 5.9.22):
Notified BOE Member Absences:
The Board at the meeting may rearrange the order of the agenda.
1. ROUTINE MATTERS:
a. Welcome and Recognition of Visitors-
b. Meeting Called to Order – A complete copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted on the west wall and in the BOE Documents folder.
c. Pledge of Allegiance
d. Determine if a Quorum is Present
e. Motion to Declare the Meeting Properly Publicized and Open to the Public.
f. Approval of the Agenda for May 8, 2023, Regular Board Meeting.
g. Approval of the Minutes from the Board Meetings for April 10, 2023.
“Celebrate to Elevate”
h. Awards and/or Honors-
i. High Fives-
- Congratulations to the 2023 Graduating Seniors (69 seniors) – Contingent upon successful completion of classes for diploma.
- Congratulations to Mr. Rischling, Mrs. Rhoads and all the instrumental and vocal students for receiving superior ratings at the District Music Concert last month!
- Congratulations to Renae Noble! She was elected to be the next Nebraska Director of the National Education Association.
- Congratulations to Cardinal Singers Broc Berry and Jodean Chesley! Both were awarded Outstanding Soloists at the UNC Jazz Festival last month.
- Thank you to all the members of the Chadron Kiwanis for the Honors Program recognizing our outstanding students.
- Thank you to the Chadron Ministerial Association for hosting a Baccalaureate Program May 7th to recognize and encourage our graduating seniors. Special thanks to Jill Paopao for speaking during the program.
- Thank you to Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Gifford (junior class sponsors), the parent volunteers and all of the juniors for hosting a successful prom and post-prom.
- Thank you to Loni Watson for organizing our annual Honors Night Program, and thank you to everyone that presented awards to celebrate the many student successes!
- Thank you to Mr. Rischling and Mrs. Rhoads and all of the students for the amazing spring concerts!
- Bristol Prado and Emmerson Landreth for placing in the top 10 at the NJAS Science Fair in Lincoln.
- CMS ASP was awarded a $13,000 BSCA supplemental funding grant
- Everyone for completing NSCAS assessments.
- 7th Grade Girls Track for taking first at the Western Conference track meet.
- Thank you to Nurse Pyle and all the doctors at the Chadron Medical Clinic for conducting sports physicals on May 2nd.
- Thank you to Mr. Rischling, Mrs. Rhoads, and all the students for the amazing spring concerts!
- Mrs. Dubs and the CMS Hope Squad for organizing Mental Health Awareness Month activities.
- Teacher Appreciation Week was celebrated during the week of May 1st. Thank you to all of our amazing teachers!
- Congratulations to our nine 4th-grade students and families that completed and graduated from the FAST program on April 24th!
- Thank you to Steph Pelton for presenting at our 4th grade Puberty Talks and to school nurse, Jenny Pyle for organizing them.
- Thank you to our teachers for finishing strong and positive!
- To our teachers and support staff as we finish out the year. The teachers have been working on facilitating “bump up” days for our students.
- To Mrs. Kassy Schrader for our wonderful Spring concerts ~ the patience and coordination that it takes to make this evening such a success is amazing.
- To staff and students in conducting the city-wide Tornado drill with efficiency.
- To all of our staff leaving our building, we are going to miss them all but we are so happy for their next adventures.
- To the second-grade teachers and sponsors for making the field trip to Mount Rushmore so successful.
- To our first-grade teachers who took our students up to the planetarium for a small field trip experience.
- To the teachers and students as we complete a great deal of our assessments. All grade levels have finished the MAPS testing.
- To our amazing assessment team for completing all of our Spring testing, including our classroom teachers helping with the Chromebooks and our Acadience testing team.
- Shelley Steffl presented an animal presentation to our first-grade classes.
j. Recognition of the Public Requesting to Comment on Specific Agenda Items
2. BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS:
a. Treasurer’s Report – Submitted by Sara Taylor, Business Manager
b. Approval of Bills and Claims – General Fund, Depreciation Fund, Lunch Fund, Cooperative Fund, and Special Building Fund
c. Approval of Bills and Claims – Student Activity Fund and Student Fee Fund
3. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
4. NEW BUSINESS:
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action on BOE members attending Conferences/Meetings/Trainings-Goals 1-2. Remind of BOE Retreat May 24, 2023.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action to approve the rollover of the line of credit.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action on Proclamation Mental Health Month through AWARE Grant and Middle School Hope Squad.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action to approve the Lunchtime Solutions Contract.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action for National FCCLA participants.
- Discuss, consider, and take all necessary action on the following policies-Goals 1-2:
- Second Reading
- Narcan Policy 1602
- Second Reading
6. STUDENT PERFORMANCE AND PROGRAM REPORTS:
a. Administrator Reports Including Building Principals, Technology Director, Curriculum Director, SRO, and Maintenance Supervisor (Review Enrollment) b. Board Committee Reports – If any activity has occurred; Finance Committee (2nd Monday @ Noon); American Civics/Curriculum Committee (3rd Monday @ Noon); Policy Committee (3rd Monday @ 7 AM) Building & Grounds Committee ($7.435+ Million in Projects to do) (1st Monday at 11:00am); Personnel Committee (3rd Wednesday @ Noon); Safety Committee; Legislative Committee and Foundation Committee (3rd Wednesday at 7 AM)
7. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT AND BOARD-SUPERINTENDENT DISCUSSION:
Legislation and Pillen School Funding
AQuESTT – Accountability for a Quality Education System Today and Tomorrow AQuESTT is Nebraska’s next-generation accountability system. It aims to meet and exceed statutory requirements for accountability (R.S.S 79-760.06 and 79-760.07) by considering the broader educational experiences and success of students.
a. Leadership & Support Systems for Six (6) Tenets of AQuESTT
i. Leadership & high-quality services in processes, regulations, interagency collaboration, data systems, fiscal responsibility, and evaluation
Legislative Update-Bill Summaries, State Senator Communications NRCSA Legislative Conference and Committee, STANCE Meetings, Trustee for Chadron Community Hospital, Hospital Executive Committe, Panel on Mental Health State Conference, Negotiations, School Improvement Visits to South Central Unified and Rapid City Stevens, Meet with Governor.
Federal Audit Submission, G5 Update, $5000 mini-grant, GEERS money, Juvenile Justice Community Plan, Perkins, EASIE, ESSERS, Cardinal Facility Fund, ReVision Grant, Legislative Issues
iii. Engage policy partners & stakeholders in the development of policies, regulations, and practices. Juvenile Justice Community Plan, Trustee for Chadron Community Hospital, Panel on Mental Health State Conference, Legislative and Legislative Committee, Aware, PPHD meetings
iv. Teaching, Learning, & Serving
After School Program, Professional Development Schedule,
b. College & Career Ready & Civic
i. Curriculum development and alignment to Content Standards
ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA, State Testing
ii. Integration of Career Readiness Standards into all content areas
iii. Systemic and collaborative curriculum review
Health Standard Meeting with Patrons, Content Standards Alignment, Curriculum Review with Board
iv. Partnerships for the expanded learning opportunity
Juvenile Justice Community Plan, Partnerships with PPHD and ESU
v. Career awareness, exploration, and preparation instruction
i. Process to ensure reliable, valid, and appropriate assessments
Educlimber, ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA, State Testing
ii. Utilizing a balanced assessment system
Educlimber, ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA, State Testing,
iii. Sharing assessments in a timely manner
Educlimber, Acadience, BIMAS, ACT Results, Data, ASVAB, NWEA, State Testing
iv. Establishing and sharing grading policies and standards
Reviewed with Policy and Handbook.
v. Utilizing perceptual data
Educlimber, Acadience, After School Program, SIP Surveys
d. Educator Effectiveness
i. Measuring and addressing teacher engagement.
School and classroom walk-throughs. Google Classroom and Google Drive training
ii. Utilizing a research-based instructional model aligned to the NE Teacher Principal Performance Framework (NTPPF)
Danielson, Principal and Teacher Evaluations complete and classified are complete too.
iii. Utilizing a formal staff evaluation process aligned to the NE Evaluation Model for Teachers and Principals.
Admin Team Evaluations, Classified Evaluations
iv. Developing a Professional Learning plan to support continuous improvement
Danielson, Lesson Plans, and SIP Process
v. Technology to support teaching and learning, Success, Access, & Support.
1:1 Technology Upgrade of Infrastructure, Cameras, Door Locks, Purchase Rotation of Devices
e. Positive Partnerships, Relationships, and Success
i. Partnerships w/community groups & support services
Partner with PPHD, Mental Health Team meets regularly to review students’ services and discuss individual student referrals, Bimonthly STANCE Meetings, NASB Monthly Update, Radio Talks
ESU 13 Administrator Monthly Meeting, School Safety, Quarterly Safety Committee Meeting ALICAP Safety Visit, AWARE MH LEA & District Team Monthly Meetings, State/LEA Advisory Meeting, Trustee for Chadron Community Hospital
ii. Strategies for family attendance & participation
Superintendent Blog, Remind, Chadron App, Emails
iii. Expectations for safe, clean, and healthy schools
Review and monitor building cleaning plans.
iv. Measuring and addressing student engagement
Weekly classroom and building visits
v. Strategies to support all students in monitoring and managing Learning
Juvenile Justice Community Plan, Walk-throughs, Evaluations, Weekly Admin Meetings
i. Process to support on-time grade completion
1:30 outs, Kindergarten Roundup, School Visits and Tours, School Improvement, Transitions
ii. Process for addressing the needs of highly mobile students
Transition, Indian Education, Juvenile Justice
iii. Process to identify and support students at risk of dropping out
Acellus, Juvenile Justice, Educlimber, Indian Education
iv. Processes to ensure the preparedness of incoming students
Orientation, Technology Boot Camp, Transitions
v. Strategies to support the transition from Primary, to Intermediate, to Middle School, to High
Transitions, Bump Up Day, FAST, Kindergarten Round-up
vi. School, and post-high school opportunities
g. Educational Opportunities & Access
i. Before or after-school opportunities
Monitor 21st Century grant that subsidizes the after-school program, Title VI Indian Education Parent Meeting
ii. Supplementing in-person classroom instruction with digital learning opportunities.
Acellus, IXL, I-Ready, Google Classroom, Imagine Learning
iii. Processes relating to a Target Improvement Plan (TIP)
v. Aligning educational opportunities to the needs of all students
Acellus online learning, IXL, Imagine Learning, Google Classroom
vi. Evaluating new educational programs
Teachers, Administrators, Program Usage for Dollars
h. Thank Yous-
8. BOARD MEMBER ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION (Non-Action)
- Something the BOE did tonight for student learning Goals 1-2
9. ADVANCE PLANNING (GOAL 3):
a. American Civics/Curriculum Committee – May 15, 2023 @ Noon
b. Policy Committee Meeting – May 15, 2023, @ 7 AM
c. Building & Grounds Committee Meeting – June 5, 2023, @ 11 am
d. Personnel Meeting – June 12, 2023, at Noon
e. Finance Committee Meeting – June 12, 2023, at 11 am
f. Regular Board Meeting– June 12, 2023, at 5:30 PM
g. Legislative Committee-
h. Foundation – May 17, 2023, at 7 AM
10. PUBLIC COMMENT TIME FOR ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA (No Personnel Items)
11. VOTE TO EXCUSE ANY ABSENT BOARD MEMBER(S):
a. Motion for Adjournment
1 thought on “Chadron School Board May 8, 2023”